Here are the best practices for installing your new SeaDek product by Castaway Customs – The video above demonstrates the process for a cooler pad, but the same concept is transferrable across all of our Genuine SeaDek products.
- Sharp razor knife
- Isopropyl Alcohol 90% (Propan-2-ol)
- Acetone (Propan-2-one)
- Clean rags
- Only install SeaDek in temperatures between 50° F to 100° F (10° C to 38° C).
- Do not attempt to adjust or move once the installation process has begun.
- To prevent distortion, avoid pulling, stretching, or compressing pads during installation.
Use acetone and a clean rag to remove all grease, adhesive, mold-release, wax, dirt, and other substances from the areas where SeaDek is going to be installed. Next, use isopropyl alcohol and a new clean rag to remove all leftover residue. Ensure the area is completely dry before continuing (approximately 30-60 seconds after the acetone was applied).
- Before peeling back any paper backing, layout the pads in their designated locations to verify that the fit and spacing are correct.
- Identify the first pad to install, then turn the pad over so that the adhesive backing is face up. With a sharp razor knife, carefully cut the paper adhesive backing from the center of the pad towards the edges (center to top edge, center to bottom edge) to ensure it does not rip. Be sure to completely cut through the adhesive backing but DO NOT cut into the pad.
- Turn the pad back over and reposition it exactly where you want it installed.
- Firmly secure one side of the pad to the surface area using masking tape. Taping prevents the pad from moving.
- Lift up the side that is not taped down and peel the paper backing to the crease. Gently lay the pad back in place.
- Firmly press down on the pad where the exposed adhesive is. Apply pressure from the center of the pad outward (center to top, center to bottom) to ensure no air is trapped beneath the pad.
- Continue to lift the pad and peel back the paper backing to expose an additional 2” – 3” (5 cm – 7.5 cm) and repeat step 7. Continue until one complete side of the pad has adhered.
- Once the first side is complete, remove the masking tape and repeat steps 7 and 8 for the other half of the pad. Apply even pressure to the pad to ensure a firm bond between the pad and the surface area.
- Firmly press down along all edges to ensure that no water will permeate the pads.